An effective treatment for the removal and prevention of Black Spot Osmosis staining on fibreglass pools, 4kg of Lo-Chlor Spotaway treats up to 50,000 litres (11,000 gallons) of pool water.
1. DO NOT chlorinate or use the pool for at least 48 hours prior to adding Spotaway.
2. DO NOT add any chemicals or operate any form of Brominator or Chlorinator during the treatment period.
3. Thoroughly backwash the filtration system to achieve maximum circulation.
4. Add 4kg of Spotaway per 50,000 litres of water, distribute evenly around the pool with the pump and filter running. Run the pump for 4-6 hours daily and for up to 7 days. If the stain persists a second treatment will be necessary.
5. Lo-Chlor No More Metal should be added 24 hours after the initial treatment, as the metals that form the stain are in solution and need to be taken out of the water via the filtration. The pool should then be treated with No More Metal regularly to prevent re-staining as part of your ongoing maintenance.
6. Occasionally, stain removal treatment may cause the water to go cloudy. If this happens, use a clarifier to assist in clearing the issue.
7. After treating with a clarifier, leave the pump and filter running for a minimum of 24 hours, thoroughly backwash the filter and resume normal filtration.
8. This treatment reduces the pH and Total Alkalinity of the pool water. Ensure the levels of both are re-balanced accordingly and add your sanitiser.
9. When re-balancing, raise Total Alkalinity first, which needs to be done slowly over a period of days (at a maximum rate of 20 ppm per day). A sudden increase will buffer the metal ions out of solution, resulting in re-staining.
4kg treats up to 50,000 litres of water.
- Depending on the severity of the staining and the age of the pool, it is common for the problem to re-occur - regular or repeated treatment may be required.
- The black spot we are describing should not be confused with black spot algae. The black spot is only found in fibreglass pools.
- It is a reaction in fibreglass pools which produces a cobalt hydroxide accretion on the fiberglass.