Lo-Chlor Black Spot Algaecide is extremely high strength, concentrated formula of algaecide designed specifically for treatment of black spot and very stubborn algae. It is copper and quaternary ammonium based and 1 Litre treats up to 50,000 litres of pool water.
If there is already algae in the pool it is recommended that this is treated via shock dosing the pool using a shock treatment and running the filtration for 24 hours. Once the shock treatment is complete, Black Spot Algaecide can be applied following the below steps:
1. Ensure nobody is using or intending to use the pool during the treatment.
2. Thoroughly clean the pool, brushing walls and floor using a stiff pool brush, vacuuming to waste.
3. pH should be within the range of 6.8-7.0 before application, adjust as required.
4. Run the pump and filter as normal.
5. Shock dose with chlorine shock treatment and run pump and filter for 24 hours.
6. At the end of the 24 hour period, measure the correct volume of Black Spot Algaecide using the below dose rate table and pour directly into the water, close to where the algae is situated. DO NOT ADD VIA THE POOL SKIMMER.
7. Allow 24 hours post treatment then adjust the sanitiser level to within the standard range and run pump and filter as normal.
This product may result in the discolouration of hair and swimwear (and pool surfaces) if excessive levels of copper are present. Therefore, it is not recommended to use any other copper based product during the Black Spot Algaecide treatment process.
Once the treatment is complete, the use of Lo-Chlor Starver or Starver X will help to reduce and remove phosphates from the pool water, which greatly reduces the chance or algae recurrence.
What Advantages Does It Have Over Other Similar Products?
- Black Spot Algaecide utilises an organo copper complex plus a quat ammonium base. The combination of the two work especially well to combat black spot algae.
- It may be used with all types of pool finishes.
- Easy and economical to use.
- Compatible with all recognised sanitisers and other pool additives.
- Effective over a wide pH range.
- As well as lysing the algae cells, the increased detergent action (foaming) assists in releasing the clinging algae crusts from pool surfaces.
- Black Spot Algaecide must not be used in pools using an Ioniser or Nature 2.
- Do not super chlorinate for 48 hours before and after using Black Spot Algaecide.
- The product may smell and foam for a short period.
- Reduce pH to between 7.0 and 7.2 for best results. At lower pH the waxy coating surrounding algae cells is greatly softened and allows easier penetration by chemicals.
- Regular brushing recommended to assist in algae removal.
- Use in conjunction with Lo-Chlor Starver phosphate remover for very bad pools.
- After algae has been removed always follow up with regular dosing of Lo-Chlor long life algaecide and Lo-Chlor Starver phosphate remover. This will prevent re-occurrence of algae, and also assist in helping the efficiency of other chemicals in your pool.